Best Things to Do in Ouarzazate
Best things to do in Ouarzazate, known as a gateway to the Sahara desert of Morocco,” is a popular tourist destination celebrated for its natural beauty and thriving film industry. Nestled amidst mountains, the city serves as a starting point for exploring the enchanting oases of southern Morocco. It has gained prominence as a filming location for national and international productions, with its diverse landscapes providing an ideal backdrop. Blockbusters like “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Gladiator” were shot here. Atlas Studios, the city’s largest film studio and film museum, exemplifies its significance in Moroccan cinema.
Ouarzazate offers a wide range of accommodations, from luxurious hotels to cozy guest houses, ensuring a comfortable stay for every visitor. The city also boasts of a vibrant nightlife scene with a variety of restaurants, bars, and shops in the local culture. get yourself into the unique blend of natural splendor and cinematic allure that Ouarzazate has to offer, creating lasting memories of your Moroccan adventure.
So are you planning a trip to Ouarzazate to explore the best of this city or to take a desert tour from Marrakech, We provide any service that may be useful to you, Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to host your Moroccan desert tour.
The Best Things to Do in Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate, located in southern Morocco, is a city that offers a captivating blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. In addition to the popular attractions mentioned earlier, there are many other interesting places to explore in and around Ouarzazate:
- Cinema Museum: Located in Ouarzazate, the Cinema Museum displays a large collection of objects, costumes, and memorabilia from films shot in the region. It offers a fascinating look at the history and development of Moroccan cinema.
- Garden of the Kasbah: Found within the Taourirt Kasbah, the Garden of the Kasbah provides a tranquil retreat from the city’s hustle and bustle. Take a stroll amidst palm and fruit trees, and enjoy the serene ambiance.
- The Oasis of Fint: Approximately 15 kilometers from Ouarzazate, the Oasis of Fint offers a peaceful setting surrounded by palm trees and acacias. Explore the oasis, discover traditional Berber villages, and witness daily life in this serene environment.
- Draa Valley: The Draa Valley presents a picturesque landscape characterized by palm groves, ancient kasbahs, and Berber settlements. This scenic valley offers a glimpse into the region’s rich cultural heritage and natural beauty.
- Village of Ait Ben Haddou: Situated about 30 kilometers from Ouarzazate, the fortified village of Ait Ben Haddou is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a remarkable example of traditional Moroccan architecture. Explore its adobe houses, winding streets, and historic significance.
- Skoura Oasis: Located approximately 40 kilometers from Ouarzazate, the Skoura Oasis is known for its lush palm groves and traditional kasbahs. It offers a tranquil setting to relax and enjoy the beauty of the surrounding nature.
- Aït Kdif Market: Along the road to Zagora, the Aït Kdif Market provides an authentic Moroccan experience. Engage with the locals, browse through various products, and get yourself into the vibrant atmosphere of this traditional market.
These additional attractions add depth and variety to your Ouarzazate experience, allowing you to delve further into the city’s heritage, culture, and natural wonders.
Ouarzazate offers a range of accommodations to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you seek luxury hotels, cozy guest houses, or other forms of lodging, you will find suitable options to enhance your stay.
In summary, Ouarzazate is a city that beckons travelers with its historical treasures, cultural richness, and breathtaking landscapes. From the iconic Kasbah of Ouarzazate to the allure of film studios, from serene gardens and oases to the picturesque Draa Valley and Ait Ben Haddou, there is much to explore and discover. Embrace the unique charm of Ouarzazate as you go on an unforgettable journey through this captivating Moroccan city and its surrounding wonders.
How to Get to Ouarzazate
To reach Ouarzazate, the “city of a thousand kasbahs,” various transportation options are available, with the most common being by road. Since the city lacks a train station, the Marrakech station serves as the primary connection point for trains, from where you can take buses or shared taxis.
Buses are the cheapest and most popular means of reaching Ouarzazate. Companies like CTM and Supratours offer daily services from Marrakech, with a travel time of approximately 4-5 hours and affordable prices.
Another cost-effective option is to hire a shared taxi in Marrakech. The journey is slightly quicker than by bus, but taxis depart only when fully occupied (six passengers – two in the front, four in the back). It’s important to note that the price may vary based on negotiations with the driver.
For a more private and personalized experience, hiring a private taxi or joining a tour or circuit from Marrakech is recommended. Various companies offer minibus or 4×4 services with private drivers, allowing stops at nearby villages and scenic spots along the way.
Ouarzazate can also be reached by plane, as it has an airport that receives flights from major airlines. The airport is located about 6 km from the city center, and taxis or transfers can be booked to reach your accommodation.
In summary, the choice of transportation to Ouarzazate depends on your preferences and budget. If cost-effectiveness is key, buses or shared taxis are ideal. For comfort and privacy, consider hiring a circuit with the Best Morocco Travel agency, providing the opportunity to explore not only Ouarzazate but also other desert areas.
Our tours in Morocco are tailored to your needs and budget. You can choose the route that suits you best, starting or ending in Marrakech. Along the way, you will have opportunities to stop at different places, enjoy scenic views, and capture memorable photos.
Another advantage of booking a circuit with us is the presence of a local guide who will offer detailed information about each destination. You will have the chance to savor traditional Moroccan cuisine and immerse yourself more authentically in the local culture.
Feel free to reach out to us for more information about our circuits and services. We guarantee a unique and unforgettable experience!
Kasbahs & Berber Villages Around Ouarzazate
Ait Ben Haddou is a fortified village located on a hill by the Ounila River, about 30 kilometers southwest of Ouarzazate. Recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it showcases traditional Moroccan architecture from the 17th century. The village consists of mud houses with adobe walls, narrow streets, and an impressive hilltop fortress. Exploring the maze-like streets and fortified houses is a captivating experience. Ait Ben Haddou’s historical significance as a trading post and strategic stronghold is evident in its construction and defensive structures. The village’s picturesque location near the river and against the backdrop of the Atlas Mountains adds to its charm. It has also been featured in various films. A visit to Ait Ben Haddou allows travelers to immerse themselves in the cultural and historical heritage of this remarkable fortified village.
The Palm Grove of Ouarzazate
The Ouarzazate palm grove, situated 40 kilometers from the city at an elevation of 1,188 meters, stands as one of Morocco’s most breathtaking oases. Surrounded by the majestic Atlas and Anti-Atlas Mountains, as well as the picturesque Dades Valley, it is renowned for its olive trees, olive oil production, and vibrant flora comprising date palms, pomegranate, fig, almond, and cereal fields. Besides its natural allure, the palm grove is home to a remarkable collection of kasbahs and Berber villages, bestowing upon it immense historical and cultural significance. Often referred to as “The Route of the Thousand Kasbahs” by experienced tour guides, it offers a gateway to Morocco’s rich heritage. Adventure enthusiasts can partake in a multitude of activities, including car tours, 4×4 expeditions, mountain biking, hiking, horseback riding, and mule riding, amidst this captivating landscape. For an unforgettable experience, spending a night in tents within the oasis, beneath a starry canopy, allows for an intimate connection with the oasis’s natural splendor.
Other Places of Interest to Visit
Apart from the Kasbah of Ait Ben Haddou and the Ouarzazate palm grove, there are several captivating destinations to explore around the city.
- Tamnougalt Kasbah: Located approximately 80 kilometers from Ouarzazate, this kasbah is one of the oldest and best-preserved in the region. Nestled in a verdant valley surrounded by palm trees and cultivated fields, it showcases traditional Berber village architecture.
- Draa Valley: Extending from the Atlas Mountains to the Sahara Desert, the Draa Valley is one of Morocco’s largest and most fertile valleys. Adorned with date palms and dotted with small Berber villages, it offers an ideal setting for excursions and immersing oneself in nature.
- Tifoultoute Kasbah: Situated just 8 kilometers from Ouarzazate, this 18th-century kasbah was built by the Glaoui dynasty. Visitors can explore its interiors and enjoy panoramic views of the city and its surroundings from Kasbah’s terrace.
- Skoura Town: Renowned for its palm grove and numerous kasbahs, Skoura offers a tranquil and picturesque setting. Strolling through the town allows visitors to appreciate the traditional architecture and immerse themselves in natural beauty.
- Tisselday Village: Located approximately 25 kilometers from Ouarzazate, Tisselday is known for its captivating cave paintings. The village serves as an excellent base for hiking and embracing the wonders of nature.
In summary, the vicinity of Ouarzazate beckons with a diverse array of attractions, from kasbahs and Berber villages to lush valleys and oases brimming with natural beauty. Embarking on excursions to these enchanting sites promises a captivating exploration of the region’s cultural heritage and breathtaking landscapes.
The Best Things to Do in Ouarzazate Around
Ouarzazate, a popular tourist destination in Morocco, presents a plethora of activities and attractions to engage visitors. Here are some recommendations for things to do in Ouarzazate:
- Visit the Kasbah of Taourirt: This 17th-century kasbah, once the residence of the regional governor, is a top tourist spot. Explore its rooms housing ancient artifacts and artworks, providing insights into the history and culture of the region.
- Explore the Draa Valley: Just a few hours from Ouarzazate, the breathtaking Draa Valley awaits. Surrounded by mountains, it features abundant oases, palm groves, and traditional villages. Discover the valley’s beauty through 4×4 tours, cycling adventures, or leisurely walks.
- Admire the impressive kasbahs of Ait Ben Haddou: Located a short distance from Ouarzazate, the Ait Ben Haddou kasbah is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Marvel at its intricate fortifications, towers, walls, and courtyards, and learn about its rich history. Many renowned movies have used this kasbah as a filming location.
- Explore the Sahara Desert: Ouarzazate serves as an excellent base for exploring the Sahara Desert. Start on a 4×4 or camel tour to venture into the mesmerizing dunes, witness stunning sunsets, and spend a magical night in a Bedouin camp beneath the starry sky.
- Indulge in local gastronomy: Ouarzazate is renowned for its delectable cuisine, blending Berber and Arabic flavors. Sample the famous tajine, a slow-cooked meat and vegetable casserole with dried fruits, or savor the flavorful couscous dish accompanied by vegetables and meat.
In summary, Ouarzazate offers a wealth of experiences, from immersing in history and culture to exploring natural landscapes and going up on desert adventures.
Time & Weather in Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate enjoys a desert and semi-arid climate with hot summers and mild winters. During summer (June to September), temperatures can reach around 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) during the day and stay above 20 degrees Celsius (68 degrees Fahrenheit) at night. Winter (December to February) sees maximum temperatures ranging from 18 to 20 degrees Celsius (64 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit), with occasional dips below 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit).
The best time to visit Ouarzazate is spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) when temperatures are milder. Expect daytime highs of 25-30°C (77-86°F) and cooler nights of 10-15°C (50-59°F). These seasons offer a comfortable climate, fewer tourists, and potentially more reasonable prices. It is advised to check local weather forecasts as conditions may vary depending on the specific area and altitude.
Where to Eat in Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate is renowned for its diverse gastronomic scene, featuring a range of options to cater to various tastes. Here are some recommended restaurants:
- The Full Sun: Situated on Avenue Mohammed V, this restaurant offers a delightful array of Moroccan and Mediterranean cuisine, including classic dishes like couscous and tagine. The outdoor terrace provides a pleasant setting with views of the city.
- Restaurant Kasbah Datte Dor: Located on the road to Skoura, this restaurant invites you to savor traditional Berber and Moroccan dishes in an authentic and cozy atmosphere. Its terrace offers panoramic views of the surrounding palm grove.
- La Rose Des Sables Restaurant Pizzeria: Found in the heart of Ouarzazate, this establishment presents a diverse menu featuring Moroccan and Italian delicacies, including mouthwatering pizzas and pasta. Enjoy your meal on the terrace while taking in the cityscape.
- La Kasbah Des Sables: Situated along the road to Skoura, this restaurant is housed within an old kasbah, serving a selection of Moroccan and Berber dishes in a traditional setting. The terrace offers a scenic view of the nearby palm grove.
- Le Jardin des Aromes: This restaurant boasts a relaxed and welcoming ambiance on Avenue Mohammed V. Delight in a variety of Moroccan and Mediterranean flavors as you dine amidst a lush outdoor terrace adorned with plants and trees.
Whether you are seeking local specialties or international cuisine, Ouarzazate has a culinary experience to satisfy your cravings and create memorable dining moments.
Accommodations in Ouarzazate
In Ouarzazate, you will discover a range of accommodations to suit various preferences and budgets. Here are some types of lodging available in the city:
- Riads: These are traditional Moroccan houses transformed into boutique hotels. They provide an authentic and intimate experience with charming interior courtyards, tastefully decorated rooms, and personalized hospitality.
- Hotels: Ouarzazate offers a wide array of hotels, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxurious 5-star establishments. These hotels provide comfortable rooms, quality services, and amenities such as swimming pools, spas, restaurants, and bars.
- Kasbahs: Traditional adobe fortresses converted into tourist accommodations offer a unique and character-filled stay. They provide an opportunity to get yourself into the local culture and heritage.
Whether you prefer the traditional charm of a riad, the convenience of a hotel, or the cultural experience of a kasbah, Ouarzazate offers a variety of accommodation choices to enhance your visit and ensure a comfortable stay.
Best Morocco Tours from Marrakech
Enjoy the best exciting desert tours from Marrakech and discover the beauty of Morocco’s landscapes. Choose us for exceptional experiences that take you deep into the Sahara desert, where you will witness the traditional lifestyle of the Berber people and explore historic towns. We offer a range of tours to suit different preferences and budgets. Our luxury trips provide lavish accommodations, exquisite cuisine, and exclusive activities, while our budget-friendly options offer cozy lodgings, delicious local food, and enjoyable experiences. No matter your choice, our dedicated team ensures a memorable journey through Morocco’s captivating desert scenery.